Thursday, April 1, 2010

Handmade Portraits by Sharon Montrose

Watching this video made me excited where I just wanted to crawl out of my skin and get into the space of her studio and wrap my arms around that baby giraffe.

So utterly precious, surreal and special.  Looking at that animal, admiring so much the photography style of Sharon Montrose, makes me regroup as to why I am photographing what I do.  What do I really love to photograph vs. what do I photograph because of the dictates of others.

This video helped me to re-evaluate why I put my camera to my eye, what makes my heart run faster, what gets my blood flowing rapidly.  I have to remember, it's not about how much money I can make with my photographs, but what  really excites me and makes my skin tingle with anticipation.  Of course the fault lies with me if I photograph just for the sake of money. 

Sharon Montrose helped me to remember that to always photograph not just for commercial reasons, but to always keep a part of photography for myself, for the pure love and joy of capturing a moment in time and making it permanent.

2 comments: